Tuesday, January 18, 2011

the most fun ever had getting a splinter, or, why i should buy some dancing shoes

snow ball: 1. (n) a compact, round article of frozen precipitation formed into a ball, generally used as wintry weapons against friends and foes alike. 2. (n) A winter party at which attendees wear fine clothes and dance in lines, circles, squares, and randomized order. see also: hoedown.









last friday night, i attended my first ever Snow Ball, and it was a blast. everyone dressed up in their best outfits and we all showed up to dance the night away. there was contra-dancing, which can only be described to outsiders as "pride and prejudice meets a hoedown," and there that contemporary line dancing--think the electric slide, the cha-cha- slide, and the cupid shuffle, and there was plenty of embarrassing free style dancing, conceived for the sole purpose of showing everyone present exactly how bad one is at dancing. with the exception of a few Fred Astaires and Paula Abduls (yeah, I went there) most of us were pretty bad at dancing. but that's where the real fun began!

however, i have made a mental not to purchase shoes that actually fit, since the ones I wore kept falling off my feet while dancing. which led to my kicking the shoes into a corner, which led to a splinter in the middle of the electric slide, which put my shoes back on my feet just in time to belt out Don't Stop Believin' and make a further fool of myself. all in good fun, my friends. all in good fun.

i can't wait till next year!

1 comment: